Saturday, April 26, 2008

Dry Dock in Hamburg

And the boat is out of the water....

We are now in dry dock. They essentially had us drive into this tank, I guess you would call it, and then drained out all the water. We are apparently resting on concrete blocks with cushioning. I'll try to take some pictures later to show. And now that we're staying in one place for awhile, I think I'll try to find an internet cafe, and finally post some pictures.

So far dry dock has been pretty nice. The guest services crew all decided to buy coveralls so that we don't have to get our clothes dirty while we're here since we don't have to wear our uniforms. The first day we went around and covered all the floors in our areas with plastic so that it won't get dirty. This was actually quite a long process, and we were pretty creative with it...

Since then, we've been doing a lot of cleaning. And we deal with all the contractors on board, so that means that we're still doing a lot of checking in, and checking out as well. This is sometimes difficult since they mostly only speak Polish or German, or some other language than English. But we've been managing.

I haven't managed to get out yet since I've been doing the night shift and am pretty tired during the day. But tonight is my last night, so I guess we'll see. The others went into the red light district the other night, and I heard some iteresting stories from there...

The weather here is much colder too, I wasn't quite prepared for this, it's been as cold as 10 degrees, and it's been pretty rainy. Hopefully the weather is much nicer back home.

The dock in Cork, Ireland, when we arrived in Europe.

We actually arrived earlier than scheduled, due to a guest having a medical emergency (he had a heart attack, I think he ended up being okay though). So instead of arriving in the morning, we arrived at midnight, and all the crew of course decided to get off the ship.

Of course, during the week in a small town, there isn't really too much open... actually, nothing at all was open, much to our dismay.

Luckily one pub owner near the pier realized the profit he could make off the crew, so he opened up, and we all piled in for ridiculously expensive beer in an Irish Pub. From left to right, these are some of the people I worked with: Sara (my roommate) from Italy, Humberto from Mexico, Natasha from Puerto Rico, Karoly from Hungary, me, and Marcelo from Brazil. We're a pretty international department.


Showing our creative side with the plastic that covers the floors. I don't have pictures of us putting the actual plastic down, unfortunately, maybe I'll steal some from people later to post. Let's just say that it involved some rolling on the floor, as well as a process we called "the tiger" to make sure that it stuck...

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

We had about 9 days where everyday it got above 20. Then this week we got a cold snap and I think the warmest it got was 10. We had frost twice. Now we are in for some rain. Yesterday George and I were driving and we had hail.

It is a good thing that we have not planted anything yet.